City Photo and
2.Photo of arrest of Tent City occupant on July 12, 1977 when police removed and arrested 193 and disbanded Tent City.
3.Photo of tour given by Alan Canfora of Tent City and the May 4 site. Taken in either 1976 or 1977.
4.Another Photo of tour.
5.A rare moment in the history of Tent City. KSU President Glenn Olds (center Photo)drops by Tent City unannounced to "rap" with protest participants and try to convince them to voluntarily vacate the site. This was about a week before 193 were arrested on July 12, 1977.
6.The Truth Demands Justice was the newspaper published by the May 4 Coalition from April 10, 1978 till May 4, 1978. I am attempting to digitally recreate all four issues which means typing all the articles and scanning the photos and graphics. The articles are typed verbatim, typos and all. The views expressed in the articles are those of whoever wrote the article. When I am done typing an issue or a page the links below will connect you to the front page of that issue.
7. Mary Mosher has been around Kent just about all of her life and was also an activist and resident at Tent City. I have included some of the photos she took of everyday Tent City Life. Click on Mary Mosher to go to her photo page. I have included names where they were noted on the back of her photographs. All had to be color corrected or enhanced in response to the ravages of time.
8. Chronology of the Gym Struggle with map.
I put out the call for people to submit memorabilia on Tent City and the Gym Struggle I
inadvertently sent an e-mail to Kent and Ravenna's Record-Courier. It went to the editor,
Roger DiPaolo, who in 1977 was doing his internship at the newspaper while pursuing his
journalism degree at Kent State. In Roger's own words "I moved a box full of
gym dispute memorabilia to four apartments and my own home and held onto it for 20 years
until I got an ultimatum from my wife to either toss it or find a good home for it."
Well, it found a good home in KSU's May 4 archives and Roger has given us permission to
publish whatever we choose from this collection. Click on Roger DiPaolo to go to his submission page.,
11. Mike's mom or dad took some photos of Tent City while on visit from New York in 1977. Smaller versions are on the Tent City page. Link here for much bigger photos. Be patient while they download.
12. This link contains 4 photos from Tent City including some of Allison's and Sandy's parents.
13. Mike's collection of black and white photos from Tent City. Scanned from negatives.
Arthell, eyewitness to May 4, 1970, member of the Kent 25, and activist in the Gym
Struggle wrote this article on the Gym Struggle, entitled Kent State: A Distortion of History, for Alternatives:A forum for
activism in the seventies out of Oberlin, Ohio.
May 4 Commemoration Photo Archives | Alpahbatized Site Index | Research Guide | May 4 Books and Resources | May 4 Chronology | Jackson State | Parking Lot Memorials | May 4 Memorial | Tent City and The Gym Struggle | May 4 Task Force | William Kunstler | Arthur Krause | Links Page | May 4 Buttons | Your Story | May 4 Forum | May 4, 1998 | May 4, 1999 | May 4, 2000 | May 4, 2001 | Chat Room | Home |